Friday, August 14, 2009
Fancy Butternut Squash
This one sounds more complicated than it really is. Just throw the squash in the oven while you're putting together the veggies and you should be set with everything in under an hour.
2 small butternut squash cut in half lengthwise with the seeds taken out (unpeeled!)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp apple pie spice
1 tsp crushed cayenne pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2 jalapenos chopped up
1 can of black beans (16 oz)
1 tsp fresh oregano
1 tsp fresh chopped basil
7 medium roma tomatoes
1 clove garlic grated
1 small white onion chopped up
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a cake pan or deep baking dish place the squash face down (so the skin is facing away from the bottom of the pan).
3. Fill the pan with about 1/2 an inch of water
4. Bake for 25 minutes then take out flip over the squash, drain the water and brush the mixture in the next step onto the squash and bake for another 20 minutes.
5. In a small bowl mix 1 tbsp olive oil, cayenne pepper, apple pie spice and 1/2 tsp salt and put on the side
6. Saute the garlic, onion, jalapeno in the remaining olive oil.
7. Throw in the tomatoes, and cook on medium-high heat until the skins start to come off.
8. Turn the heat down a smidge and throw in the black beans. Cook for a few minutes.
9. Add the basil, oregano, red pepper flakes and cilantro. Stir for a few seconds over low heat.
10. Salt to taste
11. Set the squash up in the dish you want to serve them in and pour the veggie mixture over each one.