Ok... So, my laptop caught on fire... hence, I haven't written in a while. Regardless of the laptop incident I've still been cooking. So, I picked up some bulgar wheat in the bulk section of my grocery store this week and decided to try and create Tabouli. This is what I came up with. I have to say I think it goes REALLY well with the hummus posted below.
1 bunch of parsley chopped coursly
1 medium sized cucumber chopped
1 firm but red tomato chopped
2-3 tablespoons of roughly chopped mint leaves
1 cup bulgar wheat
1 lemon worth of juice
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 a purple onion diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups warm water
Salt to taste
Optional: red chili powder to taste
1. Put the bulgar in a large container with a tight lid.
2. Heat the olive oil in a small pot.
2. Once the oil is hot add the garlic and onion and reduce the heat to medium.
3. Once the garlic and onion have browned turn off the heat.
4. Let the oil, garlic and onion mixture cool.
5. Add the water and turn the heat back on and bring it to a simmer. Pour the mixture over the bulgar and cover. Let the bulgar sit covered for 40 minutes.
6. After 40 minutes uncover and fluff the bulgar with a fork. Try some if it's still hard microwave the mixture for 2-3 minutes at a time until it's soft.
7. Once the bulgar is cooked add in all your other ingredients and stir
Optional: 1-2 tsp red chili powder mixed in at the end.