Sunday, March 29, 2009

Black Beans

I just switched from canned beans to dried ones and I like this recipe because I can let it cook in my crock pot while I'm at school/the gym/taking over the world... Plus, people tell me dried beans are healthier!

Ingredients:
2 cups dry black beans
5 cups cold water
1/2 a medium purple onion minced
1-2 cloves garlic minced
1 stick of celery minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Juice from 1 lime
3 ripe tomatoes minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Heat up olive oil in a small pan
2. Brown up the garlic, onion and celery
3. Let the mixture COOL down.
4. Put the mixture, the black beans, the salt, oregano, cumin, chilli powder and cold water in your crock pot. If you don't have time to let the mixture completely cool down put in a few ice cubes to make sure the water is cold.
5. Let the beans soak over night.
6. Stir in the tomatoes and turn on your crock pot on high for 6 hours.
7. Once the beans are cooked add the cilantro and lime and let sit for 30-45 minutes to let the beans thicken up.


I like to serve these in baked tortilla bowls with salad and guacamole. (Check later this week for a recipe for the bowls!)

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, looks delicious Rachna. We need to cook with chilis soon. Have fun at the VA!

    ReplyDelete