Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hummus

I've tweeked this recipe a lot over the past year or so and I think I'm finally done with it. It's always a hit when I have people over. It's not like the hummus you get at restaurants because I don't use tahini. I think it tastes pretty good plus with out the tahini it has a whole lot less fat! So, eat as much as you want!

Ingredients:
1 can of chickpeas (16oz)
1-2 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
1/2 tbsp olive oil (You can definitely use more! I'm just stingy with fat.)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4-5 fresh oregano leaves or about one shake of the dried kind
5-6 pieces of fresh thyme or about one shake of the dried kind
1-2 tbsp of lemon juice. About the amount it one lemon
1 tsp cumin
1/2 a large tomato (I usually use the kind on the vine or the plum variety)
1/2 tsp salt

Alternative: If you have a premixed bottle of dried Italian herbs you can substitute the oregano and thyme with 1-2 shakes of the Italian herb mix.

Directions:
1. In a pan heat up your olive oil
2. Once the oil is hot add in your garlic and let it brown
3. Throw your chickpeas into the pan and let them cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes
4. Let the chickpeas cool for a few minutes prior to transferring them into your food processor.
5. Once in the food processor add all your other ingredients in and blend. The consistency should be a little thicker and have more texture than the kind in restaurants. Be sure to taste for salt! Serve at room temperature.

I like to serve this with baked pita chips or use it as a spread in wraps and sandwiches. Yum! Oh, and if you wait a few days I'll put up a recipe for baked pita chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment