OK, so this really isn't falafel at all. Basically, I've had this box of falafel mix sitting in my cabinet for way to long. I've been avoiding it because I have no idea how or desire to deep fry anything. Anyway, as I was putting together some veggies the other day I thought I should really add some protein to my meal.... the end result was this recipe. It's pretty tasty and can really be put thrown together with whatever vegetables you have handy.
1/2 cup falafel mix (I used the Ziyad brand but I can't imagine it matters)
1 cup water
1 red or orange bell pepper chopped into bite size pieces
2-3 green summer squash chopped into bite size pieces
1 package firm tofu cut into bite size cubes
1 clove of garlic grated
1-2 spring onions finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 red chili powder (Totally change this depending to your taste!)
1 tbsp olive oil
Optional: cilantro or parsley, lime, carrots and really since most falafel mixes have a good amount of spices etc. in them you can pretty much do with or without the cumin, turmeric, chili powder, garlic or even onions... depending how savory you like your food. Also, you can probably substitute the bell peppers and squash with most veggies. I think broccoli would probably work well!
1. Mix your falafel mix and water together and put on the side. The mixture should look the consistency of pancake batter and you may need to add water to get it to that consistency.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Heat up your olive oil in a pan and brown the garlic and onions.
4. Throw in your tofu and spices (and cilantro or parsley if you choose) Cook until the tofu starts getting a little crispier/tougher
5. Next your veggies go in. Cook them for about 5-10 minutes
6. Mix together your cooked veggie mixture with your falafel mix and pour it into a casserole dish.
7. Bake for about 30-40 minutes.
You'll end up with a pretty filling dish that can be served in so many ways! I've served it as a side and in a pita with romaine lettuce and fresh tomatoes. I bet it would go really well with some vegan sour cream. Yum! Also, if you're someone who likes to bake your veggies I've definitely bypassed the stove top stuff and thrown the mixture of veggies/spices/tofu/onion/garlic in the oven for 20 minutes before mixing them with the falafel mixture.