Monday, March 1, 2010
So, for years now I've been a little scared of asparagus. I had a few bad experiences with it and swore it off. Finally, I decided to take a chance and buy some earlier this week and I am really happy! I can't believe it took me so long! Eeek!
1 bunch of asparagus with the bottom 2-3 inches chopped off. (I know I hate wasting veggies too but the bottom part is just too tough and not yummy. Trust me.)
1/4 cup of chopped spring onions
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup fresh squeezed OJ
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
2 tsps olive oil
1 cup grape tomatoes
1. Steam up the asparagus until they turn a brighter green than they already are. Circa 15 minutes
2. While your asparagus is steaming throw some pepper, salt and the baslamic vinegar in a small sauce pan over low heat.
3. In a separate pan heat up 1 tsp of the olive oil. When it's nice and hot throw in the spring onions.
4. Once the onions start to brown add in your tomatoes and continue cooking until they're a smidge brown too.
5. Next put the steamed asparagus in with the onions and tomatoes and cook them for about 3 minutes on high heat.
6. While the tomatoes and asparagus are cooking add the OJ and last tsp of olive oil to the balsamic vinegar and stir.
7. Serve the asparagus with a few spoonfuls of the vinegar mixture over each serving.